Most famous for its Swing Aqueduct which was constructed between 1890 and 1894 to replace Brindley’s stone aqueduct of 1761 carrying the Bridgewater Canal across the River Irwell.
Part of the township of Eccles, lying on the banks of the River Irwell, it is first mentioned in 1195, held by the family of the same name, who would marry into the family of Manchester’s Lord De Grelley, the Booths Barton would retain it for the next three hundred years before it came under the domaine of the Traffords.
During medieval times it was almost certainly a strategic crossing point across the Irwell.
The Duke of Bridgewater’s canal, which passed to the south of the township opened in 1761, carried over the River Irwell by a stone aqueduct, while the transformation of the River into the Manchester Ship Canal would see it succeeded by a swing bridge designed by Sir Leader Williams.
the Church of All Saints and its presbytery were erected in 1867-68 by Sir Edward Welby Pugin, the eldest son of Augustus Welby Pugin, one of the most influential figures in ecclesiastical architecture in the 19th -century while St Catherine’s church erected earlier in the century was demolished in the 1970’s.
The School House connected with St. Catherine’s, which was built in 1846 is believed to be an early example of a Church of England school building.
Barton formed its own urban council in 1894, merging with Eccles in 1933 and becoming part of the City of Salford in 1974