Chapel Street

IMG_5150

This historic central street of Salford appeared the first map of Manchester in 1650 but its first mention goes back one hundred year’s previously when Salford Bridge Built at a cost of around £20,000 it is made of wrought iron and spanned on the south side one hundred and twenty five feet. Connecting the upper end of Chapel Street with what was in the late 19th century, the bustling Exchange Station and Hunt’s Bank ( now Victoria Station), the bridge…

Read More

King Street

King Street’s origins in Manchester go back to the eighteenth century. Originally the section from current day Pall Mall to Deansgate was called King Street, the upper end to Brown Street was St James’s Street, the burghers of Manchester having the intention of creating a residential square on a par with St Ann’s, but the events of 1745 put pay to that and the whole of the street was thus named King St in reverence to the current monarch. Its evolution…

Read More

Whitworth Street

Connecting London Road Station with Oxford Road, Whitworth Street, named after Joseph Whitworth was first laid down in 1899 and it would mark stage two of Manchester’s warehouse building project. With the opening of the Ship Canal earlier that decade, the required warehouse was now much bigger than those of the early and mid nineteenth century, owned now by multiple companies who would store the goods prior to dispatch  Big grandiose buildings attracted big grandiose architects who would leave their mark…

Read More

Long Millgate and Poet’s Corner

IMG_5497

While it stood Poet’s corner was probably the most ancient bit of old fashioned Manchester at the end of the nineteenth century. Standing opposite the Grammar school, it was threatening then to tumble over onto the wooden paved street from its timber support. Long Millgate was the principle thoroughfare to reach the Collegiate Church from the North side of the town but even by 1817 it was seen as a dead end. Procter writing in his memorials to Manchester streets…

Read More

Cross Street

In the early 1700’s a single mansion was all that stood on where Cross Street now stands, Radcliffe Hall on the site of the rising ground above the Unitarian Chapel. Whitaker gives a description of the Hall in 1770, just forty years before it was demolished “A large timber structure with its heavy portico of wood and its mass and projecting chimney place of stone presents itself to the eye as it glances from the Market St Lane…..constructed near the…

Read More

Mosley Street

The most elegant and retired street in the town, as one eighteenth century writer described it, is named after Sir Nicholas Mosley, Lord of the Manor of Manchester at the turn of the seventeenth century. In 1788 a poem was written in its honour In search of fame,the muse shall now survey, and show by night what fools we are by day To dream of splendid folly e’er by the sun had dawn’d in gloom its daily course to run…

Read More