Villages

Pendleton

pendleton-image

The ancient village of Pen-hulton was little more than a cluster of cottages prior to the industrial revolution before being filled with large cotton-mills, dyeing, collieries, printing, and bleaching establishments, and becoming one of the most populated areas of the country. The setting for Delaney’s Taste of Honey, extensively redeveloped post war,the area today is characterised by tower blocks and the Salford City shopping centre.the area is once again the subject of a huge regeneration scheme. First mentioned in 1199…

Read More

Kersal

kersal-image

First mentioned in 1142, this ancient village overlooking the Irwell, home of the Kersal Cell and Hall, was described as a most element suburb of Manchester in the mid 19th century. The moor, from which the famous iconic view of pre industrial Manchester was painted, was the setting for Manchester’s first racecourse and the site of many Chartist rallies. The area was also the original location for Agecroft Hall,shipped brick by brick to the United States and the Colliery of…

Read More

Broughton

broughton-image

Situated on the East bank of the Irwell, its former manor house being owned by both the Chetham’s and the Stanley’s its early fame centred around the Broughton Spout where the astronomer William Crabtree observed the transit of Venus across the sun in 1639. Under the control of the Clowes family the area developed in the 19th century into a residential area for wealthy merchants. Today it has undergone a great deal of regeneration but the development has tried to…

Read More

Eccles

eccles-image

Deriving its name from the Celtic word for church and with its parish church dating back to Norman times, Eccles remained a small market town and industry free until the late 18th century. It was on the line of the first commercial railway between Liverpool and Manchester, the first rail fatality was brought to the town’s vicarage. It became a centre for silk and later cotton production and the ship canal brought jobs to the area. An independent municipal borough…

Read More

Newton Heath

photo-7-old-cooperative-building-newton-heath

The village of Newton Heath or Newton, was until the Industrial Revolution a small settlement based around four village greens surrounding the Heath, with much of its land owned by Manchester’s Collegiate Church. The opening of the Rochdale Canal in 1804 coincided with industries such as silk weaving, cotton spinning and bleaching. The area would later be the centre of heavy engineering with firms such as Avro and Heenan & Froude, the opening of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway brought…

Read More

Northenden

northenden-image

Located at one of the few disembarkation points on the Mersey flood plain between Stockport and Stretford, a church was recorded here in the Domesday book of 1086. Northenden grew in importance from the 17th century as a crossing point over the river from Cheshire to Lancashire. Still a rural village at the turn of the 20th century, surrounded by market gardens supplying Manchester with fresh produce, good quality semi-detached houses were built for clerks and managers who were able…

Read More

Harpurhey

harpurhey-image

Back in 2004, in a report to the Deputy Prime Minister, the neighbourhood of Harpurhey was named as the most deprived area of England. Until the mid 19th century, it was no more than a rural village, first mentioned in 1327, then becoming a centre for the bleaching and dyeing industry. It suffered more than many areas in the post industrial climate of the late 20th century and recently as part of a reality television show found itself pictured in…

Read More

Rusholme

img_1283

Today its fame resides in the curry mile and being an area with a high student population, but its origins go back to the oldest guild in Manchester, the Guild of The Blessed Mary. The area in history is most associated with the Worsley family and Platt Hall, now the museum of Costume but also for a time to be the resting place of the statue of Abraham Lincoln and the Birches of Birch Hall. Latterly William Royle echoed the…

Read More

Openshaw

openshaw-image

Lying on the fringes of East Manchester, Openshaw’s origins were that of a small Hamlet, surrounded by an ancient wooded area, lying outside the manor of Manchester. As with many areas, 19th century industrialisation transformed the area and much like its near neighbour Gorton, heavy engineering and ordnance works came to the region. Very little of that is left, consequently the area suffers from high levels of deprivation but is undergoing regeneration as part of the East Manchester Project. The…

Read More

Clayton

clayton-image

Clayton can claim to house the only moated building to survive in the Manchester area and dating from the 12th century, Clayton Hall was the seat of the Byron’s and latterly of Humphrey Chetham. Once set in lush countryside East of Manchester, the area was quickly industrialised and now forms part of the conurbation bordering the Etihad Stadium redevelopment, it hasĀ benefitedĀ in recent years from East Manchester’s regeneration. Clayton Hall The only moated building to survive in the Manchester area and…

Read More