The village of Irwelham, meaning village on the Irwell, lay between Chat Moss and the Rivers Irwell and Mersey leaving a narrow corridor through which the highway between Manchester and Liverpool ran.
Stagecoaches would leave Manchester at 6am, horses would be changed at Irlam where passengers would breakfast, they would dine at Warrington, drink tea at Prescot and arrive in Liverpool at nightfall.
Irlam Hall was founded in the fifteenth century as the home of the De Irlam family, Sir George Lathom bought the hall during the reign of Edward VI, his fourth generation descendant Thomas would play a large role in the glorious revolution of 1688.
In the eighteenth century, the hall was rented by John Lacey, a coaching entrepreneur who used it as staging point for his coaches, later it would be the home of George Thomas, who bequeathed the hall to the local authority.
The draining of Chat Moss in the late 1700’s and the creation of the Irwell-Mersey navigation saw the growth of the village as a centre for agriculture.The opening of the Ship Canal brought rapid industrialisation to the region, with new works opening across the length of the canal.
Lancashire Steel works, CWS soap works, Royles Engineering and the Margarine works, the latter giving its name to a large housing estate.
The population of Irlam was only just over 4,000 in 1901 but by the outbreak of the Second World War it had reached 14,600. When Irlam Urban District became a part of Salford in April 1974, the population of the area stood at over 20,500.