The origin of the name Moston probably goes back to Anglo Saxon times, Mostun, Mos, a bog and tun, a village, thus its literally name is the village by the peat bog.

It is first mentioned along with its sister village Nuthurst towards the end of the twelfth century, Orm of Ashton granted lands by Albert Grelley, third baron of Manchester.

From the following century all the lands were in the hands of Henry De Chetham and would stay in that family, based at the Great Nuthurst Hall until the 1850’s. They would sublet part of their land to the Mostons of Moston Hall and the Chaddertons of Little Nuthurst Hall.

None of the halls of the area would survive into the twentieth century. Both the Nuthurst properties would fall into ruin and Moston Hall would be lost.

Into the nineteenth century, much of the area was a wilderness of peat bog and moorland, little was under the plough and the harsh landscape saved it from much of the ravages of the Industrial Revolution.

However there was one industry that thrived, coal. First mined towards the late 1500’s with shafts sunk between seventy and one hundred and twenty feet deep, the first modern shaft of what would become the Moston Colliery, part of the East Lancashire or Oldham seam, would be sank in 1840, the railway had come through a year earlier, and mining continued until 1950 when the National Coal Board decreed that it would never meet its required production figures.

Other industry remained on the outskirts of the village. Almost certainly from the 1500’s bleaching and dyeing was taking place along the many streams which flowed through the area, the first Wadding Mill was built in 1714 and the Dean Brook Dyeworks opened in the 1840’s.

The first Major Mill, the Chain Bar Mill came only in the 1880’s, it specialised in advanced knitting and weaving and cleaning cloths while the wire works of Johnson, Clapham and Morris opened in 1910 employing at its height over two hundred people making fire guards, machine guards and window guards among many other wire products.

It closed in the 1930’s but much of the site was bought by Ferranti who put the area into the forefront of the modern world with Moston producing the first radios and TV sets, the first commercial computers and military equipment. At its height it employed 900 people.

Today Moston, as with many parts on this side of Manchester, is struggling to come to terms with the post industrial landscape

Categories:

Tags:

No responses yet

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *