The village of Newton Heath or Newton, was until the Industrial Revolution a small settlement based around four village greens surrounding the Heath, with much of its land owned by Manchester’s Collegiate Church.
The opening of the Rochdale Canal in 1804 coincided with industries such as silk weaving, cotton spinning and bleaching.
The area would later be the centre of heavy engineering with firms such as Avro and Heenan & Froude, the opening of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway brought a large repair depot which would employ hundreds of local people.
Much of that industry has now gone and the area now struggles to establish its identity in a post industrial landscape.
It leaves one legacy, the football team that began as a works team at the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway sheds would eventually become Manchester United.