Located at one of the few disembarkation points on the Mersey flood plain between Stockport and Stretford, a church was recorded here in the Domesday book of 1086.

Northenden grew in importance from the 17th century as a crossing point over the river from Cheshire to Lancashire.

Still a rural village at the turn of the 20th century, surrounded by market gardens supplying Manchester with fresh produce, good quality semi-detached houses were built for clerks and managers who were able to commute to the city on the horse-drawn bus and the tram.

With the post war development of Wythenshawe largely completed, much of its rural character went but the township still retains an independent atmosphere.