Swinton which belonged to Whalley Abbey during early the middle aged was an agricultural area until the start of the industrial revolution.

The mining of coal at the Agecroft Colliery would change that and cotton spinning and brick making moved into the area while much of the rural estate of Swinton Park would be developed.

Swinton became a commuter town,especially with the opening of the East Lancs Road in the 1930’s, the UK’s first purpose built intercity highway.

Along with Pendlebury it became part of the City of Salford in 1974 and is the home of Salford civic Centre which stands on the site of the Swinton Industrial School.