A principally agricultural and rural area, part of the parish of Eccles, ¬†until well into the eighteenth century, much of the land farmed was leased from the Bridgewater Estate. The Bridgewater canal reached Walkden in 1770 and ushered in the industrial age with the development of mining as the area was sitting on rich coal seams, and the opening of a boatyard while the collection of the up to then hamlets in the area began to form the town. One…

Read More