The foundations of the community began around 1300 when John de Longford and William de Norrys had villains and workers who lived in “Bronage”.
Its earliest foundation probably came about as a settlement on the salt road which linked Cheshire to Stockport and Manchester.
As for the origins of the name, there is some controversy Burn-edge as a district hemmed in by a brook but it has also been known as Bronage and Brondage.
Three parts made up the village, Burnage, Ladybarn and Green End joined by Burnage Lane and Dirt Pie Lane.
Burnage is first mentioned In 1320 – we are told that it covered 666 acres of which 356 were pasture. In 1469 we get the following
“In the manor of Withington was the parish of ‘Didisburie’ where the families of Burnage went on a Sunday”
Up to the nineteenth century this was a farming community but as with most villages of South Manchester, there was hand-loom weaving centred on Fog Lane (named after the ffogge family who lived their around the 17th century) where there was a collection of hand-loom weaving cottages the weaving material provided by the owner of Platt Hall.
Successful businessmen began to build their grand houses
Burnage Hall by John Watts, one of the sons of the family behind S & J Watts, and The Acacias, built by the eccentric Mr Dyer who was also the builder of Mauldeth Hall. He built a tall tower in the grounds under which he wished to be buried but after objections it was demolished – the house later becoming a municipal school.
Morton House in Morton Avenue, owned by a Mr Foster who created a model railway in his garden and gave rides to the children and Shawbrook or Santaidd House lived in by the Cohen family, shipping merchants who originated in Germany.
The first churches came in the 1850’s, the first schools in the 1870’s and the railway in 1909 but the village clung onto its rural roots past the First World War.
Burnage Garden Village was declared open by The Lord Mayor in Sept 1910, the eleven acre site said the local paper had been laid out as an object lesson in town planning with wide and clean roads and grass plots and trees, each house had a garden and there was a central open space with bowling and tennis courts along with a village hall and post office. A village association had been formed for the 136 houses.
Kingsway Housing Scheme began in the 1930’s with the Manchester Corporation buying one thousand one hundred and sixty five acres of land bounded by the newly constructed Kingsway, Mauldeth Road, Burnage and Fog Lane as a response to the severe shortage of housing in the City, planning to erect 1200 houses and amenities including a new boys High School with places of 555 boys.
When the proposals were first announced the Manchester Guardian pronounced that Burnage Lane today is as “ stubbornly rural as any lane in Somerset”.
The scheme would mark the end of rural Burnage.