One of the satellite Towns outside the boundaries of Salford, it was chosen to rehouse people from the city in the post Second World War slum clearances.
Between 1949 and 1962 in a scheme dubbed ‘the Worsley Project, over eighteen thousand people were rehoused on four new estates, one of the estates, The Mount Skip had its roads named after places in Salford.
Hulton was part of the manor of Worsley containing three townships, Over Hulton, Middle Hulton and Little Hulton. By the end of the 13th century, Henry de Worsley had granted lands to a branch of the Hulton Family who lived in at Hulton Park in Over Hulton.
The area was an important coal mining area from the late eighteenth century with a number of mines in the area, records show that there were miners cottages from around 1775
It became part of Salford in the local government reorganisation of 1974.