Built as a farmhouse for Greenside Farm, in 1684, The Pig is probably the oldest building in Droylsden. An old oak beam carved with this date in Roman numerals forms the lintel of the main entrance of the shippon: this same beam now has pride of place over the fireplace (MDCLXXX1111).

It was named "Pig on the Wall" after the Lancashire expression illustrating the simplicity of the local people who would put their pigs on the wall to watch a passing band or procession!

Tags:

Comments are closed